Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marriottsville in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Henryton Center

 
 
Henryton Center Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Pete Skillman, February 4, 2015
1. Henryton Center Marker
Inscription.  Opened 1923 as Maryland's first tuberculosis sanatorium for African Americans. Treatment at the time sought to provide fresh air, good food, and sanitary living conditions; Henryton featured open porches, broad windows, and southern hillside exposure. In 1963 the sanatorium became Henryton State Hospital Center, serving developmentally disabled adults. Enrollment declined as therapy shifted to outpatient and home care. The facility closed in 1985.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCharity & Public WorkScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Maryland Historical Trust series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1923.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 39° 21.356′ N, 76° 54.821′ W. Marker was in Marriottsville, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker was on Henryton Road, one mile west of Heneryton Hospital
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Marriottsville MD 21104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Henryton School of Practical Nursing (a few steps from this marker); In Memory of All American Veterans (approx. 1.9 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away); History of the Freedom Community (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Sykesville Bypass Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Sykesville (approx. 3 miles away); Baldwin's Station (approx. 3 miles away); Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Station (approx. 3 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker was photographed in 2015 at 39° 21.362′ N, 76° 54.807′ W. In August 2019 Google Maps Street View showed it across the road at the intersection, where we have it located now.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 4, 2015, by Pete Skillman of Townsend, Delaware. This page has been viewed 567 times since then and 72 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on February 4, 2015, by Pete Skillman of Townsend, Delaware. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=80625

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022