Star-Spangled Banner National Historical Trail
— War of 1812 —
Sir Peter Parker landed on the Eastern Shore on August 28, 1814, to lead a series of raids. The British destroyed property and routed some cavalry who were “smashingly dressed in Blue and long…feathers in their hats.”
“Running down the Eastern shore of Maryland on (August) 27…I was surprised to observe the Enemy’s Regular Troops and Militia in Motion along the whole coast.”
British Captain Sir Peter Parker to Vice Admiral Alexander Cochrane, August 29, 1814.
(Inscription below the portrait in the lower center)
Philip Reed Image/Cincinnati Museum of Art.
(Inscription beside the image in the lower right)
Trooper Light Cavalry, Maryland Volunteer Militia, 1814 by Herbert Knotal. Image/Courtesy Anne S. K. Brown Military Collection, Brown University
Erected by National Park Service-United States Department of the Interior.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1814.
Location. 39° 3.228′ N, 76° 13.332′ W. Marker is in Rock Hall, Maryland, in Kent County. Marker is on Eastern Neck Road. The marker is located in the Eastern Neck Wildlife Refuge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rock Hall MD 21661, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Long Distance Travelers (approx. 0.6 miles away); Birds of Prey-Hunters in the Sky (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wickliffe (approx. 2.4 miles away); Bowlingly (approx. 5˝ miles away); a different marker also named Bowlingly (approx. 5˝ miles away); Surprise at Queenstown (approx. 5.6 miles away); Colonial Courthouse (approx. 5.6 miles away); Queenstown (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rock Hall.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on February 6, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.