Québec in Communauté-Urbaine-de-Québec, — Central Canada (French-Canadian)
Hôtel-Dieu de Québec
L’Hôtel-Dieu de Québec
Founded on 16 August 1637 by the Duchess of Aiguillon and the religious order of the Augustines Hospitalières of Dieppe, the Hôtel-Dieu de Québec was the first permanent hospital established north of Mexico. As soon as they arrived in Canada in 1639, the sisters dedicated themselves to the relief of human suffering. The stone walls of Hôtel-Dieu still enclose a hospital, a monastery and a church, as well as a garden and a cemetery, all evidence of the life of this once cloistered community committed to its nursing mission for over 350 years.
Fondé le 16 août 1637 par la duchesse d'Aiguillon et les Augustines Hospitalières de Dieppe, l'Hôtel-Dieu de Québec est le premier hôpital permanent établi au nord du Mexique. Dès leur arrivée au Canada en 1639, les religieuses consacrent tous leurs efforts à soulager la souffrance humaine. Derrière l'enceinte de pierre de l'Hôtel-Dieu subsistent l'hôpital, le monastère, l'église ainsi que le jardin et le cimetière, témoins de la vie d'une communauté jadis cloîtrée qui a su maintenir des liens étroits avec son oeuvre hospitalière pendant plus de 350 ans.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 46° 48.91′ N, 71° 12.659′ W. Marker is in Québec, in Communauté-Urbaine-de-Québec. Marker is on Côte du Palais just from Rue Mcmahon. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 Côte du Palais, Québec G1R 2J6, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Premier Hôpital au Canada (a few steps from this marker); Marie-Catherine de Saint-Augustin (within shouting distance of this marker); Site historique du Monastère-des-Augustines de-l'Hôtel-Dieu-de-Québec (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Irish Roots in Old Québec (about 90 meters away); Les photographes Livernois (about 150 meters away); Protecting the Upper Town (about 180 meters away); William Drum (about 180 meters away); Site du palais de l'intendant / Intendant's Palace Site (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Québec.
More about this marker. The marker is located near the building entrance just to the right of the inside corner.
Also see . . . Hôtel-Dieu de Québec - Wikipedia. The (Submitted on February 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on February 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 397 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on September 15, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on February 11, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.