Lovers of 19th-century history and architecture will find Stevensville a worthwhile stop along the byway. Christ Church (c.1880) is a fine example of Gothic architecture, while the Old Stevensville Post Office (c.1870), which served the community until 1952, is now home to the Kent Island Heritage Society. The Cray House (c. 1809) is a rare example of post and plank construction. The Walking Tour of Historic Stevensville will guide you to all 23 stops in this historic district. Pick up a copy of the guide in one of Stevensville’s restaurants or other local businesses.
Names for its central and easily accessible location, Centreville was incorporated in 1794 and is the seat of Queen Anne’s County. Pre-Civil War and Victorian era styles decorate the town with vivid history. Notable examples of 18th-century architecture include Wright’s Chance, the Tucker House, and Providence
The town of Church Hill grew around a 1698 water mill, the foundation of which can be seen along Route 19. St. Luke’s Church (c.1732) is located on the hill that gave the town its name. The Church Hill Theatre, built in 1929 as a movie house, was saved from demolition in the 1980’s and now regularly hosts theatrical productions.
Chestertown has been a Royal Port of Entry, the scene of its own Revolutionary protest over imported tea (1774), and a hub of trade, farming and cultural life. Stroll back in time by visiting Kent County’s historic courthouse (c.1860), Emmanuel Church, Fountain Park, the Charles Sumner G.A.R. Hall, the Gaddes-Piper House (a Chesapeake Bay Gateways Network site), Washington College (founded 1782), and numerous 18th-century structures located throughout historic Chestertown. Visit the Kent County Visitor Center for a copy of the Walking Tour of Historic Chestertown Guide.
Erected by Chesapeake Country National Scenic Byway.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1952.
Location. 38° 58.484′ N, 76° 14.957′ W. Marker is in Chester, Maryland, in Queen Anne's County. Marker is on Piney Narrows Road. The marker is located on the grounds of the Chesapeake Heritage Center. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chester MD 21619, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chesapeake Country National Scenic Byway (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Byway Destinations (here, next to this marker); Maryland's Eastern Shore (a few steps from this marker); Enemy Occupation (within shouting distance of this marker); Crossing the Narrows (within shouting distance of this marker); Crossing Point (approx. half a mile away); Working the Waters (approx. half a mile away); The James E. Kirwan Museum (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chester.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 15, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 255 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 15, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.