Fletcher in Henderson County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Herman Frank Arnold
October 6, 1837
April 10, 1927
He orchestrated "Dixie" and played it for the first time at the inauguration of Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, Montgomery, Alabama February 18, 1861
Erected 1929 by the Asheville Chapter, UBC Asheville N.C. and Marie Arnold Chafin (Daughter).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is February 18, 1861.
Location. 35° 26.546′ N, 82° 30.211′ W. Marker is in Fletcher, North Carolina, in Henderson County. Marker is on Old Airport Road (State Highway 1547) near Henderson Road (U.S. 25), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fletcher NC 28732, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dan Emmett (here, next to this marker); Joel Chandler Harris (here, next to this marker); John Fox, Jr. (here, next to this marker); Albert Pike (a few steps from this marker); Zebulon Baird Vance George Westfeldt (a few steps from this marker); Sidney Lanier (a few steps from this marker); Matthew Fontaine Maury (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fletcher.
Regarding Herman Frank Arnold. The Rev. Clarence Stuart McClellan, of the nearby Calvary Episcopal Church was behind the creation of this set of markers as an "Open Air Westminster Abbey of the South", described in a local newspaper account from another marker dedication ("Forest City Courier (Forest City, NC), September 17, 1931. Memorial To President Davis Dedicated.")
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,254 times since then and 116 times this year. Last updated on February 24, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.