Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clintonville in Waupaca County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Four–Wheel Drive

 
 
Four–Wheel Drive Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, May 31, 2008
1. Four–Wheel Drive Marker
Inscription.  In this machine shop, in 1908, Otto Zachow and William Besserdich developed and built the first successful four-wheel drive automobile. Their first car, the “Battleship”, soon proved that it "could go anywhere a team of horses could go” and led to the founding, in 1909, of The Badger Four Wheel Drive Auto Company, (word “Badger” dropped in 1910 and name changed to FWD Corporation in 1958). Government interest in motor vehicles and the success of the four-wheel drive in early military tests caused the company to switch from cars to the manufacture of motor trucks. In two World Wars, U.S. and Allied armies won the battle of transport with military vehicles of four-wheel drive design. As civilization moves on to new horizons, transportation and progress are served by trucks invented and built in this community using the Zachow-Besserdich principle of applying power to all wheels of a vehicle.
 
Erected 1960 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 102.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Notable PlacesRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 44° 37.278′ N, 88° 45.522′ W. Marker is in Clintonville, Wisconsin, in Waupaca County. Marker is on Memorial Circle south of 11th Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is between Pioneer Park and Olen Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clintonville WI 54929, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Portion of Wall of China (within shouting distance of this marker); Clintonville Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birthplace of an Airline (approx. 1.3 miles away); Chief Waupaca (approx. 7 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 7.1 miles away); Melvin O. Handrich (approx. 13.6 miles away); Shiocton Area Veterans Memorial (approx. 14.9 miles away).
 
Four–Wheel Drive Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, May 31, 2008
2. Four–Wheel Drive Marker
Machine Shop image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith L, May 31, 2008
3. Machine Shop
of Otto Zachow – Wm. Besserdich
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 1, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,663 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 1, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.   2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8108

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2024