Near McCaulley in Fisher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Woods Chapel Cemetery
(1.5 Miles Southwest)
Among the first settlers here were Henry Clay Lyon (1815-1889) and his family. Lyon, a native of Tennessee, was a veteran of the Republic of Texas Army as well as the Confederate forces of the Civil War. Although Lyon is buried in the Woods Chapel Cemetery, a granite marker in his honor was placed in the Roby Cemetery at the site of the graves of his wife and children. Plans to reinter him next to his widow during the Texas Centennial of 1936 were never completed.
The earliest marked grave in the Woods Chapel Cemetery is that of Sarah H. Lawrence (1881-1884), a granddaughter of Henry C. Lyon. Of the twenty-six marked graves here, thirteen are those of infants or small children. The graveyard also contains at least twenty-eight unmarked graves. An important part of Fisher County history, the cemetery is the site of an annual San Jacinto Day observance on
Erected 1988 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5901.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1884.
Location. 32° 45.407′ N, 100° 12.195′ W. Marker is near McCaulley, Texas, in Fisher County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 180 and Farm to Market Road 1812, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 180. Marker is at the northwest corner of the intersection of US 180, FM 1812, and CR 283. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mc Caulley TX 79534, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adair - Steadman Site (approx. 6 miles away); Boyd Chapel Community (approx. 6.9 miles away); Neinda Baptist Church (approx. 7 miles away); Neinda Community (approx. 7.6 miles away); Site of Hitson Community (approx. 9.6 miles away); Newman Community and Cemetery (approx. 9.7 miles away); Hamlin (approx. 9.8 miles away); Organization of Fisher County (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Woods Chapel Cemetery. From the findagrave.com website. The map location and geocoordinates shown on this page are incorrect. (Submitted on February 28, 2015.)
2. Henry C. Lyon (1815-1889) - Find A Grave Memorial. (Submitted on February 28, 2015.)
1. Location of Woods Chapel Cemetery
The Woods Chapel Cemetery is actually located 2.5 miles south by southwest of the marker location.
To reach the cemetery from the marker location, proceed 3.4 miles south on Farm to Market Road 1812 to County Road 156 and take a right turn (west). Proceed 0.6 miles on CR 156 to a dirt road and take a right turn (north). Proceed 1.4 miles on the dirt road and the dirt road will fork into two smaller dirt roads / paths. Take the road on your right (north) and proceed 500 feet to cemetery. (The condition of these dirt roads is not known, and you may need to walk.)
The geo-coordinates of the cemetery are 32.722355, -100.213665.
— Submitted February 28, 2015.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 28, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.