Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Boom for Cumberland
The National Road Meets the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad
— The Historic National Road / The Road That Built The Nation —
National Road traffic ﬂourished and the population of Cumberland nearly doubled by 1850, as Cumberland enjoyed a brief but lively boom. Old businesses expanded, new ones thrived. Construction ﬁlled the city with new warehouses, hotels and repair shops.
Travel on the National Pike thrived prior to the construction of the B&O Railroad. Throughout the ﬁrst three weeks of March, 1848, stage coaches carried 2,586 passengers through Cumberland. One local old-timer claims to have sighted “ﬁfty-two six-horse wagons...on the road at one time, and...at least 4,000 head of western cattle quartered at a single place.”
In 1853, the railroad was completed to Wheeling, West Virginia. Travel on the National Road declined as speedier steam railroads replaced horse-drawn stagecoaches.
(lower right) Early 20th century map of Cumberland detailing locations of major transportation routes. Map courtesy of Cindi Ptak
(background) “National Road at Fairview Inn” background image from the Enoch Pratt Library Cator Collection.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 39° 39.129′ N, 78° 45.574′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is at the intersection of Baltimore Street and North George Street, on the right when traveling west on Baltimore Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capture of Generals B.F. Kelly and George Crook (a few steps from this marker); Capture of Generals (within shouting distance of this marker); McNeill’s Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); B’er Chayim (Well of Life) Congregation (about 600 feet away); The First National Bank and Trust Company of Western Maryland (about 600 feet away); Cumberland City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Federal Court and Postoffice (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 13, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.