Cumberland in Allegany County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Capture of Generals B.F. Kelly and George Crook
Nights, February 21–22, 1865
A company of Confederates, young men from Cumberland, Maryland, Hampshire and Hardy Counties, West Virginia, captured several picket posts, obtained the countersign “Bulls Gap,” rode into the city, captured two commanding Union Generals, Kelly and Crook, and Adj. General Thayer Melvin, and sent them to Richmond, Virginia, as prisoners of war, without firing a shot.
Generals Kelly and Melvin were taken from this building then the "Barnum House,"(now Windsor Hotel).
General Crook was captured in the “Revere House,”(now the Kenneweg Co.-Wholesale Grocers).
The generals were asleep when taken from their respective beds.
General Lew Wallace was stationed here in command of a large body of Indiana Zouaves; also, Brig. General Hayes later President of the United States.
This most daring episode of the Civil War created a great sensation all over the country, as at the time several thousand Union troops were stationed in Cumberland.
The Windsor Hotel—formerly Barnum House—was located on this site. Razed in 1959.
Topics. This historical marker is listed War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1959.
Location. 39° 39.133′ N, 78° 45.582′ W. Marker is in Cumberland, Maryland, in Allegany County. Marker is at the intersection of North George Street and Baltimore Street, on the right when traveling north on North George Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cumberland MD 21502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Boom for Cumberland (a few steps from this marker); Capture of Generals (within shouting distance of this marker); McNeill’s Raid (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ's (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First National Bank and Trust Company of Western Maryland (about 600 feet away); B’er Chayim (Well of Life) Congregation (about 600 feet away); Cumberland City Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Federal Court and Postoffice (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 13, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 920 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 13, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.