Dennison in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Dennison Yard and Shops / Dennison Depot
Dennison Yard and Shops
Panhandle Division, Pennsylvania Railroad
The Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and St. Louis Railway began construction of the Dennison Railroad Shops here in 1864. This rail line was chartered as the Steubenville and Indiana Railroad in 1849, opened in 1855, and integrated into the Pennsylvania Railroad system in 1870. The yard and shops, situated exactly halfway between Pittsburgh and Columbus, were known as the "Altoona of the Pan Handle" and boasted foundries, machine shops, and two roundhouses. The Dennison Shops experienced their busiest period between 1900 and 1921, with over 3,000 workers employed in the complex. A bitter 1922 strike prompted consolidation, and the facility was gradually phased out. The last passenger train stopped in 1970. Ohio Central Railroad Systems revived the line in 1992 as the Columbus and Ohio River Railroad.
The Dennison Depot, built in 1873 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is symbolic of Dennison's railroad heritage. Purchased from Conrail in 1984, the Depot was restored
Erected 2000 by Tuscarawas County Historical Society, The Rosenberry Foundation and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8-79.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Labor Unions • Railroads & Streetcars • War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1942.
Location. 40° 23.532′ N, 81° 19.953′ W. Marker is in Dennison, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and North 4th Street, on the right when traveling east on Center Street. Located at the Dennison Railroad Depot Museum. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dennison OH 44621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dennison Railway Chapel / The Manse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dennison High School Uhrich's Mill 1806 / Clay Capital 1833-1980s (approx. 0.9 miles away); Uhrichsville (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Ohio & Erie Canal in Warwick Township (approx. 4 miles away); Gnadenhutten / The Gnadenhutten Massacre, "A Day of Shame" (approx. 6 miles away); The Seven Ranges (approx. 6½ miles away); Schoenbrunn Schoolhouse 1772 / Schoenbrunn Church 1772 (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dennison.
Also see . . . Dennison Depot Railroad Museum. (Submitted on March 15, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 444 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 15, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 6, 7. submitted on March 16, 2015, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.