Noblesville in Hamilton County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Potter's Covered Bridge
First bridge spanning White River at Potter's Ford was commissioned 1860 and named after the landowner, William Potter. In 1870, Hamilton County Commissioners voted for construction of this "Howe Truss" bridge. It was finished 1871 and repaired 1937, 1959, 1961. Plans to replace this structure with a concrete bridge were introduced in 1969.
After 100 years of use, County Commissioners voted to close the bridge to traffic 1971 and lease it to Hamilton County Parks and Recreation Department. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1991. During 1990s, plans to restore bridge and create a park were developed. Bridge was restored and rededicated when Potter's Bridge Park opened 1999.
Erected 2007 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Hamilton Co. Parks & Recreation Department and Noblesville Preservation Alliance. (Marker Number 29.2007.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles. Covered Bridges, and the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 40° 4.317′ N, 86° 0.017′ W. Marker is in Noblesville, Indiana, in Hamilton County. Marker is on Allisonville Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19401 North Allisonville Road, Noblesville IN 46060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White River Greenway (within shouting distance of this marker); The Central Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Crownland Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bryan Clauson (approx. 1.4 miles away); Cole-Evans House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Harrell House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Conner Street Historic District (approx. 1.8 miles away); Union Traction Station (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Noblesville.
Regarding Potter's Covered Bridge. Potter's Bridge was built in 1871 by Josiah Durfee of Noblesville for a mere $13,000 It connects the land called "Potter's Ford," named for William A. Potter (1838-1883) who owned and farmed the surrounding land.
Also see . . .
1. Indiana Historical Marker Database entry. On this page, the marker text is annotated and referenced. (Submitted on June 6, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. Potter's Covered Bridge. (Submitted on December 2, 2020, by Craig Doda of Napoleon, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2008, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,667 times since then and 228 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on June 6, 2008, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.