Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison Manor in Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brandymore Castle

 
 
Brandymore Castle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 4, 2008
1. Brandymore Castle Marker
Inscription.  This landmark was first described in 1724 by surveyor Charles Broadwater as "the rock stones called Brandymore Castle." Research in 1972 established that the natural formation matched the boundary descriptions on the 18th century land grands from Lord Fairfax to William Gunnel, James Going and Simon Pearson, George Harrison, John Carlye and John Dalton, and Captain Charles Broadwater. The origin of the name "Brandymore" is unknown, but this rocky outcrop resembles the collapsed battlements of an old castle with Four Mile Run serving as a moat.
 
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Natural FeaturesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1724.
 
Location. 38° 53.052′ N, 77° 9.154′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. It is in Madison Manor. Marker can be reached from Custis Memorial Highway (Interstate 66), on the right when traveling east. The marker is best reached from the parking lot for East Falls Church Park, off North Roosevelt Street.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The marker is along the Washington & Old Dominion Railroad Trail Park, which runs next to the interstate at this point. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22205, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Benjamin Banneker Park Playground (approx. ¼ mile away); Original Federal Boundary Stone, District of Columbia, Southwest 9 (approx. 0.4 miles away); East Falls Church (approx. half a mile away); Granite Acroterion (approx. 0.6 miles away); East Falls Church Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fairfax Chapel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Presidential Visit to Falls Church, 1911 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pearson's Funeral Home (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Brandymore Castle Marker along the W & OD Trail image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 4, 2008
2. Brandymore Castle Marker along the W & OD Trail
Some of the Outcroppings image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 4, 2008
3. Some of the Outcroppings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,911 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8180

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024