Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bedford Township in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pennsylvania Turnpike

 
 
Pennsylvania Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, May 28, 2008
1. Pennsylvania Turnpike Marker
Inscription.  This is one of the original service plazas for the nation's first long-distance superhighway. On October 1, 1940, the Turnpike opened, stretching 160 miles from Irwin to Carlisle. The Turnpike Commission had been created in 1937; construction utilized the old South Pennsylvania Railroad's right-of-way and tunnels. By 1957 the Turnpike spanned 360 miles across the state and extended 110 miles north to Scranton.
 
Erected 1990 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1852.
 
Location. 40° 1.813′ N, 78° 29.591′ W. Marker is near Bedford, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. It is in Bedford Township. Marker can be reached from Pennsylvania Turnpike (Interstate 76). Marker is located in front of the eastbound rest area. Touch for map
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford PA 15522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Turnpike Road Construction (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Pennsylvania Turnpike (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bedford Village (approx. 0.6 miles away); NE Boundary Original Survey of Bedford (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Bedford Village (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fraser Tavern (approx. 0.9 miles away); George Washington Mural (approx. 0.9 miles away); Anderson House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bedford.
 
More about this marker. This marker is identical to one across the interstate, in front of the westbound rest area.
 
Regarding Pennsylvania Turnpike. The original rest areas were built to mimic the architecture of the region they were built in. This building appears to pay some homage to the 18th and early 19th century structures that can be found occasionally in the surrounding area.
 
Also see . . .
1. Pennsylvania Turnpike - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 13, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Pennsylvania Turnpike Marker and the rest area that it mentions image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Christopher Busta-Peck, May 28, 2008
2. Pennsylvania Turnpike Marker and the rest area that it mentions
 

2. The Pennsylvania Turnpike. (Submitted on November 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
 
Pennsylvania Turnpike Marker image. Click for full size.
December 24, 2008
3. Pennsylvania Turnpike Marker
Photo of an original of this marker currently on display at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History.
Historical Tourism - <i>America On The Move</i> Exhibition image. Click for full size.
December 24, 2008
4. Historical Tourism - America On The Move Exhibition
Text from the Display at the National Museum of American History:

Historical marker, 1990

Cities and states began erecting historical markers along roads in the early 20th century as automobile touring became more common and the public’s interest in history increased. The first modern highway historical marker program started in Virginia in 1927 to highlight local history and increase tourism. The markers originally were designed to be read from a moving car. As automobile speeds increased, the plaques were redesigned and often incorporated into roadside pull-offs or rest areas.

This state marker, one of over 2,500 in Pennsylvania, was located in Bedford County, overlooking the Midway Service Plaza near Exit 11 of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Gift of Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 6, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 4,413 times since then and 10 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week January 25, 2009. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 6, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.   3, 4. submitted on December 24, 2008.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8188

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024