Shelby in Orleans County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Occupied in 14th century
by Neuter Indians.
Only double palisaded fort
in New York State.
Destroyed by Iroquois 1650.
Erected 1932 by New York State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans.
Location. 43° 10.956′ N, 78° 26.042′ W. Marker is in Shelby, New York, in Orleans County. Marker is on Salt Works Road (County Route 398) half a mile south of Blair Road, on the left when traveling south. Marker is just south of Jeddo Creek. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4756 Salt Works Road, Medina NY 14103, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Asher Freeman (approx. 2.3 miles away); 1833 Servoss-Hagood House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Charles Stielow (approx. 2˝ miles away); Early Home (approx. 2.7 miles away); Early Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); Dedicated to All Military VeteransCircus Pioneer (approx. 3.1 miles away); D.A.A. Buck Home (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Erie Moundbuilders - Location. Includes information about the Neuter Indians. (Submitted on March 29, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 29, 2015, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.