Glen Rock Auditorium
On July 17, 1912, the Glen Rock Musical Association purchased this property from Ben Abel with the intention of building a 500-seat auditorium. By the end of 1913 construction of the "Glen Rock Auditorium" was completed. The Item described it as a "splendid little opera house." Early on, one of America's greatest composers, Roland F. Seitz, was a part of the Musical Association's activities in this building.
The building was designed by local architect Joseph Dise, who along with Nathaniel Z. Seitz, founded the Musical Association in 1872. Dise introduced a main floor sloping toward the stage, a gallery taking up three sides of the building, a proscenium richly ornamented in design, and a hand-painted curtain containing local business advertisements.
On May 27, 1921, the Auditorium Company of Glen Rock was chartered and the building transferred to them. They operated the property until 1932 when Chalmers F. Sechrist leased the building to show movies. In 1935 Chalmers and Lottie Sechrist bought the property which by now was being called the Glen Theatre.
Over the years the Auditorium / Glen Theatre was also used for Glen Rock
Erected 2013 by Glen Rock Historical Preservation Society, PeoplesBank, Glen Theatre, and Glen Rock American Legion.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Man-Made Features. A significant historical date for this entry is May 27, 1921.
Location. 39° 47.456′ N, 76° 43.804′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is on Manchester Street (Pennsylvania Route 216) south of Pleasant Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 Manchester Street, Glen Rock PA 17327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First National Bank (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Item Building / Bixler's (about 800 feet away); J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus (approx. 0.2 miles away); Roland Forrest Seitz (approx. ¼ mile away); Cold Spring Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Trains, Grains, and More Trains (approx. ¼ mile away); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (approx. ¼ mile away); Creek and Rail (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Rock.
Also see . . .
1. Glen Theatre, Glen Rock PA. (Submitted on April 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Glen Rock, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on April 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Glen Theater at Cinema Treasures. (Submitted on April 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.