The First National Bank
On June 1, 1864, The First National Bank of Glen Rock opened for business on Main Street in the train station. In July 1876, N.Z. Seitz built a building at this location. The Bank moved in on November 30, 1876. The building also contained a harness maker, meeting hall, lodge rooms and the town paper - The Item. In [D]ecember 1889, the Bank bought this property. In April 1912, the original structure was replaced by the present structure, which was designed by local architect Joseph Dise. Dise served as Bank President from 1886-1928. The First National Bank served Glen Rock from June 1864 until March 1919 when it became the Trust Company of Glen Rock. In January 1934 the bank became Peoples Bank of Glen Rock. An addition was added in 1977. In February 1997 the bank became PeoplesBank, a Codorus Valley Company.
A Codorus Valley Company
Serving the People of
Glen Rock Pennsylvania
listed in the
National Register of
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Erected by Glen Rock Historical Preservation Society, PeoplesBank and the Fullerton Family.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1934.
Location. 39° 47.578′ N, 76° 43.828′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street / Manchester Street (Pennsylvania Route 216) and Hanover Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street / Manchester Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Manchester Street, Glen Rock PA 17327, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Item Building / Bixler's (a few steps from this marker); J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cold Spring Hotel (about 600 feet away); Trains, Grains, and More Trains (about 700 feet away); Creek and Rail (about 700 feet away); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (about 700 feet away); Roland Forrest Seitz (about 700 feet away); Glen Rock Auditorium (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Rock.
Also see . . .
1. History of Glen Rock, Pennsylvania(Submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. PeoplesBank, A Codorus Valley Company. (Submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.