Trains, Grains, and More Trains
Welcome to Glen Rock, Pennsylvania
— Settled 1837 - Incorporated 1859 —
The trains allowed Glen Rock to send out what was made, as well as bring in new industries, due to the accessibility. The trains pumped in vitality, encouragement and convenience. The large brick building at the right was built by Emmanuel Sheffer in 1856. It has been home to the Railroad ticket office, Sheffer's merchantile [sic] business, a large meeting hall, Glen Rock's newspaper - The Item from 1870 - 1876 and the First National Bank of Glen Rock from 1864 - 1876. In 1874 the Pennsylvania Railroad bought the building. In 1961 the building was bought and razed by Aero Oil. On October 25, 1992 the last train swayed and clacked over the tracks through town. Today, thousands of people each year use the same path to ride bikes, walk, jog, bird watch, etc.
[Inset image captions read]
Looking south towards Seitzland, the Main Street crossing is just ahead. On the right, Neuhaus'es will sell you farming products or hardware, while across the street you can buy a monument, get a haircut, mail a letter, work at the cigar or sewing factory, buy a stove and more...
Looking North toward Centerville. In 1900 Wesley Koller built
This Mural is presented to the borough of Glen Rock by the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society, Atlantis Oil, State Representative Ron Miller, State Senator Mike Waugh and a Department of Community and Economic Development grant. Mural painted by Marshall Adams. In memory of Don Swartz, former mayor, council member, charter member of Glen Rock Historic Preservation, and honorary member of the Glen Rock Carolers.
Erected 2010 by the Glen Rock Historic Preservation Society and Others.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1836.
Location. 39° 47.659′ N, 76° 43.932′ W. Marker is in Glen Rock, Pennsylvania, in York County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Heritage Rail Trail Park Crossing, on the right when traveling north on Water Street. Mural is on the south side of the convenience store at the intersection of Main Street (Pennsylvania Route 216) and
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Creek and Rail (here, next to this marker); The Original Glen Rock Carol Singers (a few steps from this marker); From Sawmill to Wherley's (within shouting distance of this marker); The Glen Rock Woolen, Flour, and Feed Mill (within shouting distance of this marker); Cold Spring Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); J. F. & H. O. Neuhaus (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roland Forrest Seitz (about 300 feet away); Item Building / Bixler's (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Rock.
Also see . . . History of Glen Rock, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 275 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 11, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.