Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah

 
 
Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
1. Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah Marker
Inscription.
Prince George’s Parish, Winyah, was created March 10, 1721, and the parish church erected on Black River, 1726, at the present Brown’s Ferry. After Prince Frederick’s Parish was formed from Prince George’s, April 9, 1734, the parish church was erected here, 1737–1750. The tower and chancel were added in 1824.
 
Erected 1941 by (under the auspices of) The Georgetown Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 22-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraReligion & Religious Structures. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 10, 1721.
 
Location. 33° 22.104′ N, 79° 16.85′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. It is on Highmarket Street (U.S. 521) east of Broad Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 Broad Street, Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in South Carolina’s Pee Dee and on Waccamaw
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
Neck. It is also in the American South, specifically in the Deep South, and on the Eastern Seaboard. Globally, it is in the North Atlantic Region, North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.

Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Georgetown (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince George Winyah Church (within shouting distance of this marker); William Doyle Morgan House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Georgetown County World War I Memorial (about 600 feet away); Only Colonial Banking House in America (about 600 feet away); Beth Elohim Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Georgetown County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Bethel Church (about 600 feet away); Methodists (about 700 feet away); Ward-Bull House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Regarding Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah. The
Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Brian Scott, April 2, 2017
2. Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah Marker
parish of Prince George Winyah was taken off from St. James’ Santee Parish by Act of Assembly, March 10, 1721. “In 1721 the Parish of Prince George, Winyah, was established, bounded on the S.W. by Santee River, on the N.E. by the Cape Fear River, on the East by the Ocean, and on the West ‘as far as it shall be inhabited by his Majesty’s subjects’.”
—Statutes, vol. 3, p. 171.
 
Also see . . .  Prince George's Parish Church. Prince George, Winyah Parish, among the oldest parishes in South Carolina, was formed in 1721. Its church possesses a handsome Jacobean gable which is one of two noteworthy examples remaining in South Carolina. The church, ca. 1750, is a rectangular handmade brick building with a semicircular apse at the east end and vestibule at the west. From the vestibule and at the roof line rises a square tower, terminating with octagonal sections. One section contains the clock, the other is an arcaded belfry with balustrade, crowned by a cupola like roof and a large cross. The tower and chancel were added in 1824. It was occupied by British troops during the Revolution, at which time the interior
Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
3. Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah Marker
was badly burned. The interior features a central aisle leading to the altar in the apse, old box pews, handmade woodwork, a flagstone floor, organ, and choir gallery in the west end. The church and cemetery are surrounded by a wall of molded handmade brick. The church house, ca. 1825, across the street is part of the Georgetown Historic District. Listed in the National Register May 6, 1971. (Submitted on April 9, 2017, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.) 
 
Additional keywords. Winyah Bay
 
Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah image. Click for full size.
Photographed by J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
4. Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2025. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,811 times since then and 26 times this year. Last updated on April 17, 2015, by Sharon F. Corey of Pawleys Island, South Carolina. Photos:   1. submitted on April 27, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   2. submitted on April 9, 2017, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.   3, 4. submitted on April 27, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
m=82442

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2026