Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midway in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Midway Church

 
 
Midway Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, November 14, 2004
1. Midway Church Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1792. Replaced Colonial meeting house burned by British in 1778. Sherman’s cavalry camped here in 1864. Midway settlement produced many of Georgia’s most famous men.
 
Erected 1930 by Atlantic Coastal Highway Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
 
Location. 31° 48.335′ N, 81° 25.828′ W. Marker is in Midway, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is at the intersection of North Coastal Highway (U.S. 17) and Martin Road, on the right when traveling north on North Coastal Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kilpatrick and Mower at Midway Church (here, next to this marker); Edward Ball (here, next to this marker); Dr. Lyman Hall (a few steps from this marker); Button Gwinnett (a few steps from this marker); Nathan Brownson (within shouting distance of this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker); Midway Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Sunbury Road (within shouting distance of this marker); Road to Sunbury (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midway.
 
More about this marker. One of the three surviving markers of 25 erected in 1930 by the Atlantic Coastal Highway Commission.
 
Also see . . .  Midway Presbyterian Church and Cemetery. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on January 13, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.) 
 
Midway Church Marker image. Click for full size.
2. Midway Church Marker
Midway Church Marker left side of the bushes, Road to Sunbury Marker at right image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 6, 2008
3. Midway Church Marker left side of the bushes, Road to Sunbury Marker at right
Midway Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, July 6, 2008
4. Midway Church Marker
Midway Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 23, 2006
5. Midway Church
Cemetery wall can be seen to the left in photo. The cemetery is on the opposite side of US Highway 17.
Midway Church, Midway. Erected in 1792 on U.S. Highway 17, South of Savannah, Ga. image. Click for full size.
J. J. Prats Postcard Collection
6. Midway Church, Midway. Erected in 1792 on U.S. Highway 17, South of Savannah, Ga.
Undated Tichnor Bros. Quality Views card was published by Coastal News Co of Savannah, Ga. The legend on the back reads “Midway Church: Midway — On U. S. Highway 17, south of Savannah. Founded by Congregationalists in 1752. Present building erected in 1792. This church with its cemetery was a hallowed spot to many men and women who have helped to shape the destiny of America.”
Midway Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, February 18, 2011
7. Midway Church
additional markers can be seen next to the left door. The interior layout of the church has been changed from its original configuration, according to the docent a the Midway Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,670 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 9, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on November 19, 2012.   3, 4. submitted on July 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   5. submitted on June 17, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   6. submitted on December 9, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   7. submitted on April 15, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8253

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024