Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Caln Township near Coatesville in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Philadelphia & Lancaster Turnpike Road

 
 
Philadelphia & Lancaster Turnpike Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, June 8, 2008
1. Philadelphia & Lancaster Turnpike Road Marker
Inscription.  This was the nations first major toll road, built by a private company incorporated 1792 by the state legislature. Completed two years later and praised as the finest highway of its day, the stone-and-gravel turnpike stretched 62 miles. The 35th milestone out of Philadelphia was placed here. Early in the 20th century, this road was acquired by the state; it became part of the transcontinental Lincoln Highway and U.S. 30.
 
Erected 1999 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Lincoln Highway, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1792.
 
Location. 39° 59.306′ N, 75° 47.524′ W. Marker is near Coatesville, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. It is in Caln Township. Marker is at the intersection of Lincoln Highway East and Veterans Drive, on the right when traveling west on Lincoln Highway East. Touch for map. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at or near this postal address: 1600 Lincoln Hwy E, Coatesville PA 19320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John G. Parke (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peter Bezellon (approx. 0.8 miles away); Whittier C. Atkinson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Brandywine Mansion (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Brandywine Mansion (approx. 1.7 miles away); Graystone - Abram Francis Huston House (approx. 1.7 miles away); Charles Lukens Huston House Site (approx. 1.7 miles away); Brandywine Iron Works - Early 1800s (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coatesville.
 
Also see . . .  Philadelphia & Lancaster Turnpike Road. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
The Lincoln Highway leading into Coatesville. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, June 8, 2008
2. The Lincoln Highway leading into Coatesville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 9, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,594 times since then and 64 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 9, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8262

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024