Chickamauga in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Camp George H. Thomas
Historic Camp Thomas
On April 14, 1898, the first regular army unit, the all Black 25th Infantry Regiment arrived at Chickamauga Park. On April 21, Maj. Gen. John R. Brooke arrived in camp and took command of the camp. He made his headquarters at Lytle Hill on April 25, the same day, war was declared on Spain. More regular Army units arrived, and their total strength grew to 7,300 men. On April 23, the site was named Camp George H. Thomas in honor of the Civil War General who had fought here. On May 14, all regular army units had left and volunteer state
Camp Thomas involved intensive training. Reveille was 4:40 a.m. It was intense and grueling. There was also a dress parade every evening. The supply of tents available at Camp Thomas was in short supply, and the men crowded 7 to 9 men in a tent measured 7 feet by 9 feet. The tents had no floors, there were no cots or beds, and the men had a single blanket each. There were no regular cooks or mess halls. Cooking was done over open fires and the soldiers had to find and cook their own meals. They then had to wash their own dishes, often without water, which was quite scarce at that time. Due to lack of sanitation, disease was rampant.
On August 8, largely due to the unhealthy conditions, secretary of war Russell A. Alger ordered the camp to begin closing. Sick soldiers in the two camp hospitals were sent home on furlough to recover. Other troops were sent to other camps were discharged and sent home.
By the middle of September most of the soldiers had departed. More than 72,000 troops had been in the camp. The park was in ruins, many trees had been destroyed, some being used for firewood, some cut for poles, while others were destroyed by Cavalry horses and other livestock that ate the bark. More than 3,000 latrines were disinfected and filled, buildings
The military presence continued with the opening of Fort Oglethorpe in December, 1904.
For more information on historic Chickamauga, please visit the Depot Museum, inquire at Town Hall or look up the homepages for the city of Chickamauga and the Chickamauga campaign trail on the Internet:
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, Spanish-American. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1958.
Location. 34° 52.246′ N, 85° 17.555′ W. Marker is in Chickamauga, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker can be reached from Cove Road (Georgia Route 341) south of Gordon Street. This marker cannot be seen from the roadway because it is located in a community park, at the Crawfish Springs, behind the Crawfish Springs Water Tower. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chickamauga GA 30707, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town of Lytle (here, next to this marker); Sickness at Camp Thomas (here, next to this marker); North and South Reunited Crawfish Spring (a few steps from this marker); 3rd Confederate Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); 4th Georgia Cavalry (within shouting distance of this marker); Hospitals, Right Wing, Union Army. (within shouting distance of this marker); Field Headquarters Army of the Cumberland (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chickamauga.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 27, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.