LaFayette in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Marsh House
Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail
The family's first home was a Williamsburg-style cottage on the site of the present house. While their new house was being built, the Marshes lived in a log house near what is now the town square. When completed, the house had four rooms over four rooms with wide central halls on the first and second floors. A large porch with square columns was constructed on the south side of the house; a second story balcony with a door from the upstairs hall was built over this porch. The original kitchen was in the basement on the east side of the house,
In the mid-1830's, residents of the growing community wished to build a new building to replace the one-room log cabin which served as a school at that time. Mr. Marsh donated the land just south of his residence for the new school, originally called Chattooga Academy and later dedicated as John B. Gordon Hall. The Marsh home became the school-time residence of John B. Gordon who later served as a Confederate general and Georgia governor.
In 1863, when it became apparent that the Civil War would come to Northwest Georgia, the Marshes moved south to Cassville, Georgia. During their absence, the house was occupied by Union troops. After the war the Marshes returned home to find all their furniture and household items had been taken. The floors in the downstairs hall were blood soaked and marked with the hoof prints of horses. The family found many bullets in the outer walls and bullet holes in the glass around the upstairs outer door on the house's south side. The family restored the house but left some of the bullet holes as a reminder that the house had survived the war.
The house remained in the family for more than 150 years. The last member of the family to occupy the house was Mr. Marsh's great-granddaughter,
Erected by Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail. (Marker Number #2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga Campaign Heritage Trail marker series.
Location. 34° 42.534′ N, 85° 16.839′ W. Marker is in LaFayette, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker can be reached from North Main Street (Georgia Route 1) north of Wardlaw Street. This marker has been paired with another marker, both of which are covered by a canopy. It is located in a community park and is situated midway between the Chattooga Academy and the Marsh House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 North Main Street, La Fayette GA 30728, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chattooga Academy (here, next to this marker); Chattooga Academy - John B. Gordon Hall (here, next to this marker); Bragg's Headquarters Shell Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); General LaFayette (within shouting distance of African American Pioneers of the Marsh-Warthen-Clements House (within shouting distance of this marker); Walker County (within shouting distance of this marker); John B. Gordon Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); The Army of Tennessee (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaFayette.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for The Marsh House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 350 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 29, 2015, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.