Pigeon Island, Gros Islet, Saint Lucia — Caribbean Region (Lesser Antilles)
Although the heyday of Pigeon Island as a British base in the Caribbean was in the late eighteenth century during the Rodney period, the garrison continued to be manned until 1861.
Built originally in 1778, this kitchen consisted of four or five rooms and was rebuilt in 1824 after being damaged in the hurricane of 1817. The original eighteenth-century stone coursing remains, and the old fireplaces can be seen in the rooms.
Erected by Saint Lucia National Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1778.
Location. 14° 5.606′ N, 60° 57.722′ W. Marker is in Pigeon Island, Gros Islet. This marker is near the entrance to the Pigeon Island National Landmark. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pigeon Island, Gros Islet LC01 101, Saint Lucia. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Officers' Quarters and Mess (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers' Quarters (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Two-Gun Battery (about 150 meters away); C.O.'s Quarters (about 150 meters away); Cooperage (about 210 meters away); Lime Kiln (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Gunslide (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Josset's House (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pigeon Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 294 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.