Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Puente de Garcés
— Historic Site —
Spanish Translation Marker
Erected by Tucson-Pima County Historical Commission and Arizona Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Exploration • Hispanic Americans. In addition, it is included in the Arizona, The Presidio Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1770.
Location. 32° 13.293′ N, 110° 58.426′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker is on the east wall of the bridge above West Congress Street and West Broadway Boulevard (just west of North Church Avenue). You must walk on the bridge to see the marker. Spanish translation marker is on west wall of bridge. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meyer Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Plaza de la Mesilla (within shouting distance of this marker); Allande Footbridge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); La Catedral de San Agustin (about 300 feet away); Pennington Footbridge (about 400 feet away); Plaza de las Armas (about 400 feet away); Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away); August 20th Park (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
Regarding Garcés Footbridge.
“This bridge, across Broadway, commemorates Father Francisco Garcés, the Franciscan priest who rode north from Tubac with Lt. Col. Hugo O’Conor in 1775 to found the presidio in Tucson. He explored throughout the region and died in 1781 during an Indian uprising.”
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,493 times since then and 116 times this year. Last updated on May 6, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 6, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.