Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Captain Frederick Pabst
(1836 – 1904)
The Captain's elegant Flemish Renaissance Revival mansion was designed by George Bowman Ferry and constructed on fashionable Grand Avenue 1890-93. Its pavilion housed the Pabst Brewery exhibit at the World's Columbian Exposition in 1893. Between 1908 and 1975 five Catholic archbishops resided here. In 1978 Wisconsin Heritages, Inc., purchased the property.
Pabst also erected the city's first skyscraper (1891-92), rebuilt the Pabst Theater (1895), operated the Whitefish Bay Resort, headed the Wisconsin National Bank, owned a local hotel and many saloons, a hops farm and street railway in Wauwatosa, and hotels and restaurants elsewhere in the nation.
Erected 1992 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 311.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in Architecture • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list.
Location. 43° 2.331′ N, 87° 56.298′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on West Wisconsin Avenue west of North 20th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2000 West Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee WI 53233, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Power House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Condenser House (approx. 0.4 miles away); At the State Fair on these Grounds (approx. half a mile away); Roman Catholic Church of the Gesu (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mabel Wanda Raimey (approx. 0.6 miles away); B'Ne Jeshurun Synagogue (approx. ¾ mile away); Historic Milwaukee (approx. ¾ mile away); Saint James Court (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Also see . . . The Pabst Mansion. "...when funding did not materialize, it was sold to a party with the intention of demolishing the house for a parking structure." (Submitted on June 12, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,819 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2011, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.