Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Plaza de la Mesilla
Cuando San Agustín, la primera catedral construida en Arizona, fue edificada al este de la plaza, se le comenzó a llamar La Placita de San Agustín. Ahora se le llama “La Placita”.
Erected by Tucson Historical Committee and Arizona Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Hispanic AmericansArizona, The Presidio Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 32° 13.258′ N, 110° 58.396′ W. Marker is in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. Marker can be reached from West Broadway Boulevard. Marker is located at north end of La Placita in front of the gazebo. La Placita is just south of Broadway Blvd. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meyer Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Convent Street (within shouting distance of this marker); August 20th Park (within shouting distance of this marker); La Catedral de San Agustin (within shouting distance of this marker); Garcés Footbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles O. Brown House (about 400 feet away); Ochoa Street (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
Regarding Plaza de la Mesilla. This site is #7 on the Presidio Walking Tour:
“This is a replica of the original 1880’s bandstand in the plaza and is the site where the stagecoach would gallop into town from Mesilla, New Mexico, or San Diego along the old El Camino Real (the royal road). Often Apache arrows would be embedded
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,985 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on May 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.