Culpeper in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Culpeper Minute Men
Erected 1929 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number J-10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1775.
Location. 38° 28.832′ N, 78° 0.38′ W. Marker is in Culpeper, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is on Sperryville Pike (U.S. 522) west of Virginia Avenue, on the left when traveling west. It is across from the Fairview Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John S. Barbour’s Birthplace (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Revolutionary War (approx. half a mile away); The Civil War (approx. half a mile away); Major Gabriel Long (approx. Yowell Meadow Park (approx. half a mile away); Mountain Run Watershed (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Culpeper Minute Men (approx. half a mile away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Culpeper.
Also see . . . The History of the Culpeper Minute Men Battalion 1775. “Their flag had a rattlesnake with 13 rattles, coiled in the center, ready to strike. Underneath it were the words: ‘Don’t Tread on Me.’ On either side were the words: ‘Libery of Death.’ And at the top ‘The Culpeper Minute Men.’ The Minute Men took part in the Battle of Great Bridge, the first Revolutionary battle on Virginia soil.” (Submitted on June 14, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,494 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 14, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.