Ajo in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Mine Manager's House
Ajo, Arizona
Inscription.
The mine managers house was built in 1919 by John O. Greenway, General Manager of Calument & Arizona Mining Co. Michael Curley, the first occupant lived here until his retirement in 1939. Of the 14 subsequent managers, 12 lived in this house. It was converted to 'The Mine Manager's House Inn' Bed & Breakfast in 1987.
Erected 1993 by Lost Dutchman Chapter 5917 E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 10.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Indigenous Peoples and Communities • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1919.
Location. 32° 22.074′ N, 112° 52.146′ W. Marker is in Ajo, Arizona, in Pima County. It can be reached from West Greenway Drive. The marker is mounted on a concrete pedistal. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 West Greenway Drive, Ajo AZ 85321, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Arizona’s Sky Islands, in the Sonoran Desert, in the Phoenix Metropolitan Area, in the Tucson Metro Metropolitan Area, and in the Tohono Oodham Nation. It is also in the American Southwest. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once New Spain and also the Gadsden Purchase.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: Curley School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The City of Ajo (approx. half a mile away); The Ajo Mining District (approx. half a mile away); A Company Town Designed in Style (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ajo Train Depot (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Clarkston Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Ajo Copper News. The obituary of Mike Curley, the first occupant of this home and whom Curley School was named, is reprinted from the July 26, 1945, issue of the Ajo Copper News. (Submitted on July 13, 2010.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 11, 2010, by Frank Houdek of Kingman, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,132 times since then and 55 times this year. Last updated on May 13, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Washington, District of Columbia. Photo 1. submitted on July 11, 2010, by Frank Houdek of Kingman, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
