Islamorada in Monroe County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Spanish Treasure Fleet of 1733
The fleet of 21 ships was loaded with gold and silver from the mine at Cartagena, Peruvian gold and artifacts from Porta Bello and those from the Pacific at Vera Cruz.
On the 14th, the armada found itself in a severe hurricane just off the Florida Keys. By the next morning the fleet was scattered from Duck Key to just above Key Largo. Only one ship was still afloat.
The remains of four of these galleons, the San Pedro, Lerrie, San Francisco, and the Almirante, can be seen today off Lower Matecumbe. This disaster killed hundreds of people and wrecked the Spanish Navy although most of the treasure was recovered.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Exploration • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is July 13, 1733.
Location. 24° 53.366′ N, 80° 40.567′ W. Marker is in Islamorada, Florida, in Monroe County. Marker is on Overseas Highway (U.S. 1 at milepost 78Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Islamorada FL 33036, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rafters (here, next to this marker); Juan Ponce de Leon (here, next to this marker); Florida East Coast Railroad Oversea Extension (within shouting distance of this marker); Triangle of History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Indian Key (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tea Table Key (approx. half a mile away); Islamorada Baptist Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); Green Turtle Inn (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Islamorada.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 21, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.