Toronto in Toronto County, Ontario — Central Canada
Charles Trick Currelly 1876-1957
Born in Exeter, Huron County, this renowned archaeologist, teacher and administrator was educated locally and in Toronto. Completing his studies at Victoria College, he received his B.A. from the University of Toronto in 1898 and his M.A. in 1901. While in London, England, he met the famous Egyptologist, Flinders Petrie, and accompanied him to Egypt. His work in various parts of the Mediterranean world inspired him with the idea of establishing an archaeological museum in Ontario. With the aid of the University of Toronto, he worked toward this goal and when the Royal Ontario Museum of Archaeology was created in 1912, Currelly became its first director. He retained this post, as well as a professorship in archaeology at the University, until his retirement in 1946.
Erected by Archaeological and Historical Sites Board, Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Education.
Location. 43° 40.086′ N, 79° 23.648′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Queens Park, Toronto, Ontario M5S 2C7, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. William Arthur Parks 1868-1936 (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Daniel Wilson (approx. 0.7 kilometers away); The Discovery of Insulin (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); The Macdonald-Mowat House (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Charles William Jefferys (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Canadian Airmen Monument (approx. 1.6 kilometers away); South African War Memorial (approx. 2 kilometers away); Mary Ann Shadd Cary (approx. 2.6 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
More about this marker. This marker is located to the right of the original 100 Queens Park entrance to the Royal Ontario Museum.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.