Near Brantford in Brant County, Ontario — Central Canada
Her Majesty’s Chapel of the Mohawks
La Chapelle des Agniers de Sa Majesté
— Ne Iakataneraientahtsere Ne Iekora Ne Kanienkehaka Rotoreonnaienhs —
Originally called St. Paul's, this chapel was the first Protestant church in Upper Canada and is now the oldest surviving church in Ontario. Built by the Crown in 1785, it was given to those Mohawk Indians led by Joseph Brant who had supported the British during the American Revolution. Their choice cost them their lands in New York. To compensate for the loss the Mohawks were granted 760,000 acres on the Grand River complete with two mills, a school and chapel. Although the church has undergone many alterations, it stands as a reminder of the important role played by the Loyalist Mohawks in the early settlement of Ontario.
This portion of the marker has not been transcribed. To view the text, click on the image of the marker and enlarge it.
Plaque Dévollée par Sa Majesté la Reine, le 1er Octobre 1984
Iakorihwaniratonh lekora tiotonh lawenre niwenniaweh nok tsatekonh niwanshenh kaieri lohserade
Erected 1984 by Historic Sites and Monument Board of Canada/Commission de lieux et monuments historique du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Native Americans. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 1, 1927.
Location. 43° 7.47′ N, 80° 14.103′ W. Marker is near Brantford, Ontario, in Brant County. Marker can be reached from Mohawk Street close to Morrison Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 Mohawk Street, Brantford, Ontario N3S 2X2, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tomb of THAYENDANEGEA (a few steps from this marker); Mohawk VillageSt. Paul’s 1785 (within shouting distance of this marker); Cogwagee • Tom Longboat (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); Ahyouwaeghs - John Brant (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); Thayendanega (Joseph Brant) (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); The Six Nations (approx. 11.3 kilometers away); The Six Nations War Memorial (approx. 11.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brantford.
More about this marker. This marker is locate at the kiosk in front of the Chapel of the Mohawks.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 365 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 4. submitted on June 3, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.