Mount Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Whilden House / 54th Massachusetts Regiment
The Whilden House
Elias Whilden, planter and mayor (1857-1858), built his home c. 1840. Five sons fought for the Confederacy, including John Marshall Whilden. John was Captain of the Citadel cadets who fired on the steamer, The Star of the West. This action on January 9, 1861 prevented Union efforts from supplying the troops at Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. It was the first shot of the Civil War.
54th Massachusetts Regiment
The Whilden House served as Union headquarters after the fall of Mount Pleasant in February 1865. Among the occupying troops was the first black volunteer 54th Mass. regiment. Under the command of Colonel Robert Gould Shaw, this unit was made famous by its assault on Battery Wagner in February 1863. The regiment mustered out in Mount Pleasant in August 1865.
Erected 2004 by Town of Mount Pleasant.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 47.245′ N, 79° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29464, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Pleasant Home for Destitute Children (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pitt Street Merchants (about 500 feet away); Mount Pleasant Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Hibben House / British Occupation (about 700 feet away); St. Andrew's Church (about 700 feet away); Hibben House (about 700 feet away); Etiwan Masonic Lodge (about 700 feet away); The Ferry Tract (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 16, 2010. This page has been viewed 1,482 times since then and 56 times this year. Last updated on June 3, 2015, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 16, 2010. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.