Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paramus in Bergen County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Washington Spring

 
 
Washington Spring Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 19, 2008
1. Washington Spring Marker
Inscription.  
Howland Avenue divided the farms of miller Cornelius Van Saun to the south and Christian Dederer to the north. Hendrick Banta lived west of Mill Creek. The Continental Army moved into Bergen County in August 1780 to forage for food and to await the French army and fleet for a campaign to drive the British from New York City. From September 4th to the 20th, 1780, about 14,000 American troops encamped on Kinderkamack ridge and environs. Hendrick Banta sold them cider from his mill. His ten-year-old son Cornelius saw Washington three times on his horse. His presence here gave rise to the name of the Washington Spring.
Dedicated in 2005 by the County of Bergen
 
Erected 2005 by Bergen County Historical Society. (Marker Number 1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, the George Washington Slept Here, and the New Jersey, Bergen County Historical Society series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1934.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
40° 55.817′ N, 74° 2.834′ W. Marker is in Paramus, New Jersey, in Bergen County. Marker is on Forest Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Marker is in Van Saun County Park, off Forest Avenue. It is located across from the entrance to parking area 4. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Paramus NJ 07652, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Washington Spring (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Spring Valley Burial Ground (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sluckup (approx. 0.4 miles away); River Edge WWI Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Maj. Ross E. Mulhare, U.S.A.F. (approx. half a mile away); "The Soldier" (approx. half a mile away); Wars Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Borough of River Edge (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paramus.
 
Also see . . .  Bergen County Historical Society. Society website homepage (Submitted on June 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Marker in Van Saun County Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 19, 2008
2. Marker in Van Saun County Park
Washington Spring image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 19, 2008
3. Washington Spring
This spring in Van Saun Park was used as the main water source for the Continental Army during their encampment here in September, 1780. Gen. Washington is believed to have drunk from it on September 13, after reviewing his troops.
Van Saun County Park image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, June 19, 2008
4. Van Saun County Park
The marker is located in Van Saun County Park on Forest Avenue in Paramus, to the left of the fork in the entrance road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,459 times since then and 188 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 19, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8412

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024