Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Belle Chasse in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bellechasse Plantation

 
 
Bellechasse Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, June 2, 2015
1. Bellechasse Plantation Marker
Inscription.  Site once part of Bellechasse plantation. Established by Col. Jean de Goutin Bellechasse, commander of colonial troops at the Louisiana Purchase transfer in 1803 and prominent early state official. Purchased in 1844 by Judah P. Benjamin, noted attorney and Louisiana U.S. Senator. He was known as the "Brains of the Confederacy" for his service in the Confederate cabinet. The main house was originally located about 1900 feet NNE of this site near the present ferry landing. It was razed in March 1960.
 
Erected by Plaquemines Parish Historical Association and Chevron Chemical - Oronite.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1960.
 
Location. 29° 51.156′ N, 89° 59.21′ W. Marker is in Belle Chasse, Louisiana, in Plaquemines Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Belle Chasse Highway (State Highway 23) and Avenue B, on the right when traveling south on Belle Chasse Highway. Located east
Bellechasse Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lee Hattabaugh, June 2, 2015
2. Bellechasse Plantation Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the Plaquemines Parish Library, just south of the Belle Chasse Auditorium. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8442 Highway 23, Belle Chasse LA 70037, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. English Turn (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named English Turn (approx. 2.2 miles away); Plaquemines Parish (approx. 2.4 miles away); Fort St. Leon (approx. 2.6 miles away); Jefferson Parish (approx. 3.2 miles away); Mary Plantation (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mel Ott (approx. 4.9 miles away); Battle of New Orleans West Bank (approx. 5½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Belle Chasse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2015, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 944 times since then and 148 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2015, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A better wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=84137

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022