Perth Amboy in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Built in 1762
Built of British-imported brick by the
Colonial Proprietors of East Jersey.
Home of the last royal Governor of
New Jersey, William Franklin in 1774.
Became a British military headquarters
during the Revolution.
Converted into a hotel:
“The Brighton” in 1808
Listed on the National Register of
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 40° 30.208′ N, 74° 16.142′ W. Marker is in Perth Amboy, New Jersey, in Middlesex County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearny Avenue and Harrison Place, on the right when traveling south on Kearny Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 149 Kearny Avenue, Perth Amboy NJ 08861, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor’s House (a few steps from this marker); St. Peter’s Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Parish in the State (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Peter’s Episcopal Church & CemeteryThomas Mundy Peterson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kearny Cottage (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bill of Rights Arch (approx. ¼ mile away); The Perth Amboy Fireman's Triangle Forged 1883 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Perth Amboy.
Also see . . . History of the Proprietary House. Museum webpage (Submitted on June 7, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 7, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on June 7, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.