Fort Stockton in Pecos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Fort Stockton
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 4798.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Comanche Trail into Mexico, the San Antonio-El Paso Road, and the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is March 23, 1859.
Location. 30° 52.94′ N, 102° 52.761′ W. Marker is in Fort Stockton, Texas, in Pecos County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and West James Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street. Marker is located Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 403 South Main Street, Fort Stockton TX 79735, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Joseph's Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Old Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Stockton (within shouting distance of this marker); Pecos County Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Annie Riggs Hotel (about 400 feet away); Grey Mule Saloon (about 500 feet away); Oldest House (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Oldest House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stockton.
Also see . . . Fort Stockton - The Handbook of Texas Online. Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on October 4, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 443 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 12, 2015, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. 3. submitted on October 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.