Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cumru Township in Berks County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Union Canal

 
 
Union Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 14, 2015
1. Union Canal Marker
Inscription.  In use, 1828-1884. It connected the Schuylkill at Reading with the Susquehanna at Middletown. About a mile east, at tip of Fritts Island, are remains of easternmost lock. It passed boats traveling to and from Philadelphia by way of Schuylkill Navigation.
 
Erected 1950 by Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the Union Canal series lists.
 
Location. 40° 17.87′ N, 75° 55.561′ W. Marker is in Cumru Township, Pennsylvania, in Berks County. Marker is at the intersection of Morgantown Road (Pennsylvania Route 10/724) and Philadelphia Ave. (PA 724) on Morgantown Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11 Kantner Ln S, Reading PA 19607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Angelica Creek Park (approx. 0.9 miles away); Reading & Berks County (approx. one mile
Union Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, June 14, 2015
2. Union Canal Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Dead Have No Rights (approx. 1.8 miles away); Jackson’s Lock and the Port of Reading (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Jackson's Lock and the Port of Reading (approx. 1.9 miles away); James H. Maurer (approx. 1.9 miles away); Thomas Mifflin (approx. 1.9 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 18, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=84489

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021