Cameron in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas
Each member of the Girl's Tomato Clubs was to produce a tomato crop on one-tenth of an acre of land and then was taught proper canning procedures. The girls exhibited their products at Milano, Rockdale, the 1913 State Fair in Dallas, and the Waco Cotton Palace. So successful were these exhibits that several of the girls started college education funds with the money they raised selling their goods.
As the state's first rural girl's organization of its kind, the Tomato Clubs were forerunners of later programs, including 4-H, that were initiated under the supervision of the Texas Agricultural Extension Service. Over
Erected 1983 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7946.)
Location. 30° 50.965′ N, 96° 58.55′ W. Marker is in Cameron, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of South Fannin Ave and East Main Street, on the left when traveling south on South Fannin Ave. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 East Main Street, Cameron TX 76520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milam County Jail of 1895 (a few steps from this marker); Milam County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Ben Milam (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Milam County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Mrs. Edna Westbrook Trigg (about 400 feet away); First National Bank of Cameron (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Cameron (approx. 0.2 miles away); All Saints Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cameron.
Also see . . . Edna Westbrook Trigg article in Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education •
More. Search the internet for First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2019. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2015, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 3. submitted on February 7, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.