Blacksburg in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Blacksburg Motor Company Building 1924
The art deco features of the building include terrazzo ﬂoors, arched woodwork, and tin ceilings. A 1942 article announcing the construction of the Motor Company noted a unique feature for tourists - a ladies‘ restroom. The building burned in 1933, but was quickly rebuilt with an addition to the original structure. It served various functions relating to the automobile including a ﬁlling station, repair shop, dealership, and tire store until 2007.
The building was purchased by the Town of Blacksburg in April 2007 and renovated as space for municipal services. This historic rehabilitation, low impact development, and green building techniques earned the Town of Blacksburg the Platinum Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
(left) Blacksburg Motor Company ca. 1960's
(right) filling station detail ca. 1960's
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 37° 13.621′ N, 80° 24.699′ W. Marker is in Blacksburg, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (Business U.S. 460) and Clay Street SW, on the left when traveling west on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 South Main Street, Blacksburg VA 24060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Black (approx. ¼ mile away); The Armory (approx. ¼ mile away); The Cellar Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Frank Henderson (approx. 0.4 miles away); Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Houston Squires (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carol Montgomery Newman (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eastern Continental Divide & 1763 Proclamation Line (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blacksburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 323 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2015, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.