Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canora in Canora No. 9, Saskatchewan — The Prairie Region (North America)
 

Ukrainian Settlers of Canora

 
 
Ukrainian Settlers of Canora Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 22, 2008
1. Ukrainian Settlers of Canora Marker
Inscription.  The first block Ukrainian settlement in Saskatchewan was established in 1897 when 180 families arrives in the Canora district from western Ukraine. Ottawa had specified that earlier Ukrainian immigrants first settle in Alberta and Manitoba. Canora became a center where the Ukrainian culture and language are still kept alive. Thus, many people know Canora as a Ukrainian town. The distinctive dome on many churches in the area are a lasting feature of this settlement.
 
Erected 1981 by Saskatchewan Council of the Ukrainian Canadian Committee in cooperation with the Government of Saskatchewan.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
 
Location. 51° 37.838′ N, 102° 25.842′ W. Marker is in Canora, Saskatchewan, in Canora No. 9. Marker is on Norway Road (Provincial Highway 9) north of Provincial Highway 5, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canora SK S0A 0L0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Ukrainian Settlers of Canora Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 22, 2008
2. Ukrainian Settlers of Canora Marker
Lesia: A Ukrainian girl with traditional welcome of bread and salt image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Dawn Bowen, June 22, 2008
3. Lesia: A Ukrainian girl with traditional welcome of bread and salt
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,150 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2008, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8492

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 18, 2024