Eleanor in Putnam County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Erected 1979 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 2, 1864.
Location. 38° 32.122′ N, 81° 55.584′ W. Marker is in Eleanor, West Virginia, in Putnam County. Marker is on Roosevelt Boulevard (U.S. 35) south of North Ash Circle, on the right. It is at the Eleanor Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eleanor WV 25070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Winfield / Battle of WinfieldPutnam County War Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Civil War in Putnam County (approx. 1.9 miles away); Historic Hoge House (approx. 2 miles away); Red House Shoals / Civil War Action (approx. 2.2 miles away); Coal Mining in Putnam County (approx. 3.8 miles away); A Park for the Coal Miner (approx. 3.8 miles away); Andrew & Charles Lewis March (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Also see . . . Town of Eleanor History. “In 1934, during perhaps the most disparaging time in American history, the town of Eleanor (initially called Red House Farms), became one of three Subsistence Homesteads built in West Virginia under the Roosevelt Administration. A total of 150 families selected for the Town of Eleanor were offered a challenge and a chance for new life.” (Submitted on July 18, 2015.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 18, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 18, 2015, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of houses and other buildings in Eleanor • Can you help?