Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Larose in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Larose

Circa 1846

 
 
Larose Marker image. Click for full size.
October 23, 2009
1. Larose Marker
Inscription.  Larose, located at the crossroads of Bayou Lafourche and the Intercoastal Canal, called Canal Harang until the first Post Office was opened around 1890. Was named for Joseph Felicien Larose, a pharmacist who acted as an unofficial Postmaster. A canal dug to give access to New Orleans markets for local settlers who produced oranges, rice and potatoes, gave the area the incentive to grow. In 1943 the present Intercoastal Canal was constructed, but instead of farm produce plying the waterway, today it is mostly oil, sulphur, shells and equipment which are frequently carried on the waterway.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 29° 33.844′ N, 90° 21.844′ W. Marker is in Larose, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker is on West Main Street (State Highway 1) east of West 23rd Street, on the right when traveling south. Located in front of the Larose Cut-Off Middle School. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13356 W Main St, Larose LA 70373, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Our Lady of the Rosary Catholic Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); Curole House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Cote Blanche (approx. 3.9 miles away); Galliano (approx. 9.8 miles away); Bouverans Plantation House (approx. 9.8 miles away); Holy Savior Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away); Lockport (approx. 12 miles away); Vacherie-Gheens (approx. 12.2 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 19, 2015. This page has been viewed 387 times since then and 88 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on July 19, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=85767

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022