Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
The First Meeting House Erected in Salem
The First Meeting House
erected in Salem.
No structure was built earlier
for congregational worship
by a church formed in America.
It was occupied
for secular as well as religious uses.
In it preached, in succession,
I. Roger Williams III; Edward Norris;
II Hugh Peters IV; John Higginson.
It was enlarged in 1639 and
was last used for worship in 1670.
The First Church in Salem, gathered, July and August, 1629,
has had no place of worship but this spot.
The First Church in Salem occupied this spot from
1634 until 1923 and this building was its
fourth meeting House
Upon the union of the First and North Churches the
Society has met for worship in the
North Meeting House
Thereafter known as the First Church
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 42° 31.284′ N, 70° 53.709′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 221-227 Essex St, Salem MA 01970, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Town House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lyceum Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Peabody Museum of Salem (about 600 feet away); The Witch Gaol (about 700 feet away); The Burying Point (about 800 feet away); Alexander Graham Bell (about 800 feet away); Saint Peter's Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); This Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 20, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 20, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.