Slavery at Fort Hunter
Sall Craig fled from Fort Hunter bondage in 1828 when she was about 60. Although owned by the McAllisters since she was a girl, they had planned to sell her because of financial reversals. The sales advertisement described her as “strong and active of her age…an excellent washer, baker and cook and understands the management of a dairy and soap boiling.” By then small communities of free Blacks had formed in nearby Harrisburg and Halifax. Perhaps they provided aid and refuge to Sall, but nothing more is known of her story.
(Inscription under the image in the center left)
This woman ran
(Inscription under the image in the lower left)
In 2014, ground penetrating radar identified a total of nine graves, four of which are unmarked at the African American cemetery that was once part of the Fort Hunter property.
(Inscription above the image in the upper right)
Known enslaved people that once lived at Fort Hunter;
Cato, Charles, Andrew Craig, Eliza Craig, Lucy Craig, Sall Craig, Daniel, George Hoofnagle, Hetty Gray, Isaac, Jack, son of Cato, James, Jem, Judy, Hallie Jenkins, Jack Jenkins, Maria Murry, Mary, Nance, Ned, Tyra.
Erected by Dauphin County.
Location. 40° 20.509′ N, 76° 54.576′ W. Marker is in Dauphin, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on River Road. The marker is in Fort Hunter Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dauphin PA 17018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennsylvania Slavery (here, next to this marker); United States Slavery (here, next to this marker); Fort Hunter History (a few steps from this marker); Fort Hunter (within shouting distance of this marker); Simon Girty (1741–1818) (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Bridge
Categories. • African Americans • Forts or Castles • Industry & Commerce •
More. Search the internet for Slavery at Fort Hunter.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 238 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 22, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.