South Royalton in Windsor County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Wagon Wheels Farm
Tourists Accommodated, 1937-1942
The farmhouse on this site, dating from the late-18th century, was purchased by Irene and Robert Slater in 1934, along with a barn and 145 acres of land. During the Great Depression, like many Vermont farmers, the Slaters took in tourists to supplement their income from dairy farming and maple sugaring. In 1937 and '38 the famous New York artist Edward Hopper and his wife, Josephine, spent month-long sojourns at Wagon Wheels while Hopper painted watercolors of the farm property and the landscape along the White River. In 1941 First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt stayed overnight in the farmhouse, traveling from the White House to inspect Camp William James, an offshoot of the Civilian Conservation Corps in nearby Tunbridge.
Erected 2013 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Arts, Letters, Music. In addition, it is included in the Eleanor Roosevelt series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1934.
Location. 43° 50.099′ N, 72° 30.727′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Royalton VT 05068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jessie LaFountain Bigwood (approx. one mile away); Site of 1780 Raid (approx. 1.3 miles away); Joseph Smith Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Royalton Raid (approx. 2.2 miles away); Stone Turnpike Marker (approx. 2.2 miles away); Burning of Royalton (approx. 2.2 miles away); Tunbridge Civil War Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); Tunbridge World's Fair (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Royalton.
Also see . . . Edward Hopper Biography. (Submitted on July 23, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 521 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. 3, 4. submitted on September 8, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.