Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Confederate Statue
The statue was erected in 1889 by the Robert E. Lee Camp, United Confederate Veterans.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1859.
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 38° 48.236′ N, 77° 2.833′ W. Marker was in the Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker was at the intersection of South Washington Street (Virginia Route 400) and Prince Street, on the right when traveling southTouch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. The Lyceum (within shouting distance of this marker); The Methodist Episcopal Congregation of Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); The Patton-Fowle House (within shouting distance of this marker); Swann-Daingerfield House (within shouting distance of this marker); Portner's (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Alexandria Lyceum (about 400 feet away); Timberman Brothers (about 400 feet away); John Douglass Brown House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Historical District.
Regarding The Confederate Statue. From the Smithsonian Institution Research Information System: “The Robert E. Lee Camp introduced legislation into the Virginia House of Delegates, Jan. 9, 1890, to ensure that the statue would never be moved from its location, in the middle of the intersection of Prince and South Washington Streets. Numerous attempts were made in the late 20th century to remove the statue on the grounds either that it was an offensive reminder of slavery, or simply that its location in the middle of an intersection was impractical. After the base had suffered nicks from passing automobiles for several years,
“The statue was designed by John Adams Elder, modeled after the figure in his painting ‘Appomattox,’ which depicts a Confederate soldier viewing the battlefields after the surrender of General Robert E. Lee at Appomattox, Virginia on April 9, 1865.”
Also see . . .
1. Confederate “Appomattox” Memorial in Alexandria, Virginia. Short essay and photographs by Willard Sturgill. “To ensure that the statue would not be moved at some future date, the UCV had legislation introduced into the Virginia House of Delegates which passed on January 9th, 1890 and which reads in part: ‘And whereas it is the desire of the said Robert E. Lee camp of Confederate Veterans and also the citizens and inhabitants of said City of Alexandria that such a monument shall remain in its present position as a perpetual and lasting testimonial to the courage, fidelity and patriotism of the heroes in whose memory it was erected… the permission so given by the said City Council of Alexandria for its erection shall not be repealed, (Submitted on June 28, 2008.)
2. Confederate Monument Postcards. Postcards in the Alexandria Public Library collection. Click on each image to enlarge. (Submitted on June 28, 2008.)
3. The Confederate Statue. “The dedication ceremony was held on May 24, 1889. Virginia Governor Fitzhugh Lee, formerly a major general of cavalry in the Army of Northern Virginia and a nephew of General Robert E. Lee, delivered the dedicatory address. The Alexandria Gazette recorded the event: ‘The population was soon doubled by the large influx of visitors and former residents from every part of the compass. . . In addition to the extraordinarily large number landed by boat, parties from the neighboring counties in carriages and all sorts of vehicles poured into the streets from early morning and by noon the neighborhood of the statue was packed by a huge mass of humanity.’ ” (Submitted on June 28, 2008.)
4. Alexandria's Confederate statue removed on June 2, 2020. (Submitted on June 2, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.)
1. List of Names on Base of Statue
Seventeenth Virginia Infantry
Company A — Capt. A.J. Humphreys, Sgt. Addison Saunders, Sgt. W. T. Morrill, Corp. J.H.L. Sangster, Frank
Company E - Sgt. Jas A. Proctor, Corp. W.M. Harper, Corp. Jas. E. Molair, Corp. Gee. T. Warfield, Jno. Allison, Jos. Bushby, Jos. Calmes, Jno. T. Cook, B.F. Emerson, Jno. Greenwood, H. Kidwell, W.T. Padgett, Jos. Penn, A.E. Skidmore, Jos. Williams, A. Woolls
Company G - Lieut. W.E. Gray, Lieut. Saml. B. Paul, Lieut. Jno. F. Addison, Sgt. Jas. W. Ivor, Corp. P. Doyle, D. Dohoney, P. Harrington, Jno. Horrigan, Jas. Keating, Jno. Murphy, Wm. Purcell
Company H - Lieut. Thos. V. Fitzhugh, Sgt. W. H. Boyer, Sgt. W.A. Lovelace, Corp. E.G. Barbour, Jas. E. Grimes, Corp. W.H.H. Smith, J.W. Baldwin, F.S. Ballenger, C.P. Ballenger, E.S. Beacham, R.E. Buchanan, Chas. R. Burgess, W.A. Castleman, Hayden Fewell, Wm. J. Higdon, P. Lannon, W.H. Lunt, D. McDermont, Jno. T. Mills, Jno. S, Murray, B.F. Padgett, Wm. Terrett, Monroe Whittington
Company I - Jno. S. Hart, A. Gousher, Jno. Slemmer
Alexandria Artillery — Ed. Calmes, E. Frank Elliott, Jas. Greenwood, P. Foster, W. Harding, Thos. Murphey, Richard Owens, T. A. Petty, Robt. Posey,
Col. Wm. Orton Williams, C.S.A.; Col. Lewellyn Powell, C.S. Arty; Lt. Col. S.W. Presstman, Eng. Corps;
James W. Jackson’s name was added to the east side of the statue in 1900. He was the proprietor of the Marshall House who was killed on May 24, 1861, during the occupation of the city.
— Submitted June 28, 2008.
2. Attempt to relocate statue.
In September 2016, the Alexandria Town Council voted to move this statue from its busy crossroads to the nearby Alexandria History Museum - The Lyceum. The state legislature, a few months later, told the council that there was no reason to think the legislature would approve an exemption from a state law that prohibits the relocation of war memorials.
The statue has long been a sore point for some
— Submitted February 6, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 11,189 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on July 17, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.