Near Charlottesville in Albemarle County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The University “Corner”
A Student Rendezvous Since the Mid-1800s
In the early 1900s “The Corner,” so named by the University crowd, was but a sparse collection of businesses at the entrance to the University Grounds—literally just a corner. In the intervening years “The Corner” has grown into a bustling commercial district.
Many of “The Corner’s” early structures still stand along University Ave.—between 14th and Chancellor Streets—including the C&O railroad bridge (1901), also known as the “Bridge of Scores”; Chancellor’s Drugstore (1914), located at 1411-1415; the Corner Building (1814), at 1412; and the Anderson Brothers Bookstore building (1891), at 1415. Two of “The Corner’s” institutions are: The Virginian Restaurant (1923), at 1521, one of the oldest eateries in the city; and Mincer’s Pipe Shop (1923) which opened at its 1527 address in 1954.
Tree-lined Elliewood Ave. is the city’s liveliest dead-end street. Named in 1910 for Ellie Wood Page (1894–1986), whose mother ran a boarding house, Elliewood Ave. became a busy thoroughfare of restaurants and shops in the 1970s.
Topics. This historical Education • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1412.
Location. 38° 2.07′ N, 78° 30.026′ W. Marker is near Charlottesville, Virginia, in Albemarle County. Marker is at the intersection of University Avenue (Business U.S. 250) and Hospital Drive, on the right when traveling west on University Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1419½ University Blvd, Charlottesville VA 22903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Charlottesville General Hospital (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Claude Moore, M.D. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Georgia O’Keeffe (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Holding Echols (approx. 0.2 miles away); Barry and Bill Battle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kappa Sigma Fraternity (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas Jefferson Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); University of Virginia (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlottesville.
Also see . . . The Corner, Charlottesville, Virginia. “The Gus Burger [at the White Spot] was named after ‘Dr. Gus,’ who used to work across the street at the hospital long ago, and who habitually ordered up a cheeseburger with a fried egg on top. Another (Submitted on June 30, 2008.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,529 times since then and 58 times this year. Last updated on July 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 4. submitted on September 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 16, 2009, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.