Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Culpeper in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

A Tribute to Black Americans – Early 1900’s

Lower End of E. Davis, Commerce Streets

— Town of Culpeper, Virginia —

 
 
A Tribute to Black Americans – Early 1900’s Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
1. A Tribute to Black Americans – Early 1900’s Marker
Inscription.  The area to the south was the center of commerce in the early 1900’s. It was here that retail shops, repair shops, hardware stores, restaurants, hotels and services flourished. In this era, blacks owned and operated nearly half the businesses in the Town, and both white and black Americans conducted business here.

The Wharf. From a historical perspective, The Wharf is a sub area of Downtown Culpeper, located at the lower end of E. Davis Street. Around 1900, the Wharf was known for its busy shipping activity, commercial businesses, churches, hotels, restaurants, and services. These businesses were predominately owned and operated by Black Americans. According to a local historian, Black American businesses flourished in part because they allowed whites and blacks to purchase goods and services “on credit”—a practice that was unusual for the time. As a rule, credit was not offered to blacks or poor whites in many localities. “In all they were the Town’s entrepreneurs; they had no banks to borrow from.”

Fishtown. To the south of the Wharf is the historical area known as “Fishtown,”
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
which occupied Commerce Street, Waters Place and Locust Street. “Fishtown” got its name from Friday and Saturday fish fries on open fires. Black American businessmen in this area were sought after for their goods, services and talents, with thriving businesses and shops. Although several homes existed in the area of “Fishtown,” the majority of blacks resided in nearby enclaves, such as Tin Cup Alley (E. Spencer Street), Whipple Alley (E. Chandler Street), Slabtown (Old Fredericksburg Road), Jeffrey Town (N. Commerce Street), and Sugar Bottom (West Street / Locust Street).

Then and Now. Like other small communities, Culpeper’s Downtown experienced a decline in the mid-1900’s. Retail businesses suffered, buildings and infrastructure deteriorated and investment went elsewhere. In the late 1980’s, the Code of Virginia classified this area as “slums and blight.” The Town received a grant funded in part by the Virginia Community Development Block Grant program, which provided the catalyst for rehabilitation and redevelopment of the area.

Today, this area is listed in both the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register and is an integral part of the Town’s Historic District.

Culpeper continues to attract more visitors each year. It is important that Culpeper’s Black American presence
A Tribute to Black Americans – Early 1900’s Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
2. A Tribute to Black Americans – Early 1900’s Marker
in this area be known and appreciated.

(photo caption) Lightfoot’s Grocery. Mr. Henry Lightfoot (1845-1931) owned and operated Lightfoot’s Grocery on East Davis Street, in the 1870’s. Mr. Henry Lightfoot also served on the Town Council in the 1880’s. In the early 1900’s, the store expanded and relocated across the street to 254-258 East Davis Street and was owned and operated by Mr. Lightfoot’s son, Mr. J.E.R. Lightfoot.

(photo caption) Approximately 100 years later, the lower end of East Davis Street has been rehabilitated and returned as a vibrant—yet quaint—place to live and work for residents, businesses and visitors.

Special thanks to: Culpeper Parking Authority, Culpeper Town Council, Johnson Lane, Harrison Lightfoot and the Lightfoot family, William & Rosie Marle Martin, Museum of Culpeper History, Department of Tourism.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
 
Location. 38° 28.39′ N, 77° 59.574′ W. Marker is in Culpeper, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is at the intersection of Commerce Street and Wausau Place, on the left when traveling north on Commerce Street. It is in a small triangular park next to the parking
Detail of Map on Marker image. Click for full size.
3. Detail of Map on Marker
Map is a Sanborn map showing businesses around 1900. This marker is located at the point of the triangle in the upper center of the map formed by Commerce St. and Wausau Place. East Davis Street is in the center left of the map.
lot between Commerce St. and Wausau Place. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Culpeper Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Eppa Rixey Boyhood Home (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Gallant Pelham (approx. 0.2 miles away); “Gallant” Pelham’s Last Days (approx. 0.2 miles away); George Washington (approx. 0.2 miles away); A.P. Hill's Boyhood Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); William "Extra Billy" Smith (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Culpeper.
 
View of East Davis Street from Commerce Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
4. View of East Davis Street from Commerce Street
The former Southern Railroad station is behind the photographer.
The Culpeper Railroad Station image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 15, 2008
5. The Culpeper Railroad Station
The intersection in front of the photographer is Commerce Street with East Davis Street to the right.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,112 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 29, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=8637

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024