Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamtramck in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main

 
 
The Dodge Brothers Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
1. The Dodge Brothers Marker
Inscription.  
The Dodge Brothers
John (1864-1920) and Horace (1868-1920) Dodge grew up in Niles, Michigan. During the late nineteenth century they worked as machinists at the Murphy Boiler Works in Detroit and at the Dominion Typograph Company in Windsor, Ontario. The brothers built the Evans and Dodge Bicycle in Windsor, then founded their own shop in Detroit in 1900. There they built transmissions and engines for Ransom Olds in 1901-1902. The Dodges were Henry Ford's leading parts supplier from 1903 to 1914. That year they built the first Dodge Brothers car. Dodge production ranked fourth among the 108 American car companies of the late 1910s. The brothers caught influenza at the New York Auto Show in 1920. Both died from the pandemic disease that year: John on January 14, and Horace on December 10.

Dodge Main
After operating two factories in Detroit's Greektown between 1900 and 1910, John and Horace Dodge bought a thirty-acre parcel on the east side of Joseph Campau Avenue, one-half mile south of here. In 1910 they opened a factory on the site to make parts for the Ford Motor Company. The
Dodge Main Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
2. Dodge Main Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Dodges began to make their own cars in 1914, and by 1920 employed some 17,000 people. By 1925 the sprawling plant was called "Dodge Main." When Walter Chrysler acquired Dodge in 1928, Dodge Main had 30,000 workers who made 230,000 cars annually. During the 1950s Dodge Main became exclusively an assembly plant with a smaller work force that turned out 600,000 cars a year. Fewer than 5,000 people worked at Dodge Main when the Chrysler Corporation closed it in 1980.
 
Erected 2007 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2188.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1756.
 
Location. 42° 23.378′ N, 83° 3.165′ W. Marker is in Hamtramck, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Joseph Campau Avenue and Danforth Street, on the left when traveling south on Joseph Campau Avenue. The marker is in Veterans Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hamtramck MI 48212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hamtramck Veteran's Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel John Francis Hamtramck (within shouting distance of this marker); Hamtramck Stadium
The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 29, 2015
3. The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Tau Beta Community House (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Florian Church / Saint Florian Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Saint Francis Hospital (approx. 0.7 miles away); Poletown and Eminent Domain (approx. 0.7 miles away); Central Woodward Christian Church (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamtramck.
 
Also see . . .  Dodge Hamtramck Plant (Dodge Main). Website devoted to the history of Dodge Main. (Submitted on June 4, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main Marker image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division, HAER MICH,82-HAMT,1--15
4. The Dodge Brothers / Dodge Main Marker
Photocopy of drawing, c. 1930, (HPL) BIRDS EYE VIEW NORTHEAST - Dodge Brothers Motor Car Company Plant, Between Joseph Campau & Conant Avenues, Hamtramck, Wayne County, MI
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.   3. submitted on July 29, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.   4. submitted on June 4, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=86444

Paid Advertisement
Jul. 26, 2021