Big Spring in Howard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A Historical Big Spring Meat Market
The Earl’s preference in meat was mutton. While sheep outnumbered cattle in this western frontier village, the natives did not butcher them, so the earl had an unlimited supply for himself and his English brothers, friends, and servants.
The generous and amiable “Judge”, as he was locally known, died January 13, 1886, at the age of thirty-five from excessive drinking. His body was returned to England for
The inventory of the probate of the Earl of Aylesford included, among other properties, “One meat market, $1800.” In later years the storefront was faced with brick.
Erected by Howard County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1853.
Location. 32° 15.217′ N, 101° 28.643′ W. Marker is in Big Spring, Texas, in Howard County. Marker is on South Main Street north of East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 South Main Street, Big Spring TX 79720, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Big Spring Hardware Company (a few steps from this marker); The J. & W. Fisher Company (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seventh Earl of Aylesford (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Settles Hotel (about 700 feet away); Howard County (about 700 feet away); Potton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank in Big Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Thomas Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Spring.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.